The United States of America USA) is a federal constitutional republic comprising fifty states and a federal district. At 3.79 million square miles (9.83 million km2) and with over 312 million people, the United States is the third or fourth largest country by total area, and the third largest by both land area and population.
|Pharmaceutical Business environment||- Biggest pharmaceutical market in the world
- Prescription pharmaceutical market – valued at 279 billion USD in 2009, CAGR of +5.0 % (2005 – 2009)
- However, US sales for the top 50 pharma companies are forecast to decline by 2.2 % (CAGR 2010 –2015) (Datamonitor), in response to increase competition as a result of the patent cliff starting in 2011.
- Pharma industry will benefit from the rise in insured individuals as a result of healthcare reform. The upside of the reform is expected to be felt 2014 onwards. (Datamonitor)
|Leading therapeutic areas||- Central nervous system (CNS) drugs led the market in terms of sales, with 23.1% market share in 2009.
- Second: Cardiovascular drugs with 12.9 % of the value market.
- Both therapy areas experienced declining sales during the period analyzed due to increasing generic incursion – cardiovascular drug sales declined by 1.3 % CAGR (2005 – 2009), while CNS drug sales declined by 1.4 % between 2008 and 2009.
|Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals USA||Founded when: 1971|
|Number of employees 2010||9390|
|Biggest products in USA||RX: 1. Spiriva®, 2. Combivent®, 3. Micardis® CHC: 1. Zantac®, Dulcolax® Animal Health: Ingelvac CircoFLEX®|