Our CardioMetabolic partnering focus
Boehringer Ingelheim’s research in CardioMetabolic diseases aims to meet key unmet ` medical needs in the following areas:
- Microvascular and macrovascular complications of type 2 diabetes, with a focus on chronic kidney diseases and diabetic nephropathy as well as diabetic retinopathy
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and liver fibrosis
- Obesity (CV-benefit and patient relevant weight loss > 10%)
- Type 2 diabetes (evidence for disease modification, CV risk reduction and/or significant weight reduction).
Differentiated novel products and new therapeutic concepts (compound-related research targets or new pathways/ideas) in these focus areas are our partnering priorities, with a preference for discovery up to IND-ready programs.
Within these areas our specific research interests offer various opportunities for collaboration:
- Therapeutic approaches for targeting fibrosis, inflammation and the gut microbiome with disease-modifying potential for type 2 diabetes, diabetic retinopathy, NASH and renal diseases
- Type 2 diabetes: β-cell regeneration, insulin resistance and adipose tissue inflammation, therapeutic approaches for targeting the gut microbiome, gut-brain axis
- Diabetic retinopathy: Macular edema, neuronal dysfunction, vascular dysfunction, neoangiogenesis
- NASH: Metabolic pathways, stellate cell biology
- Kidney disease and CV risk associated with type 2 diabetes: Integrative approaches to target the cardio-renal axis (including regenerative medicine).
For more information about CardioMetabolic partnering opportunities please contact:
Dr. Johannes Zanzinger
Global Head, BD & Licensing CardioMetabolic Diseases
Phone: +49 7351 54 4271
Dr. Monica Cheng
BD & Licensing, CardioMetabolic Diseases
Phone: +1 203 798 5268